Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cajun-Style Prime Rib Recipe

My mom loved cookbooks.  I really have never seen a person with so many cookbooks in my life!  My mom used to cook, but oddly enough I have very few recollections of her ever actually using those cookbooks...she just seemed to know how to cook.  She would sit in her chair and just read her cookbooks like I would read John Grisham or one of my favorite magazines.  She'd share with me an entree or dessert that sounded tasty, and as she told me about it she would describe it in ways that would make me salivate.  She loved to read those cookbooks....

Mom taught me how to cook - and even though I now eat out more times than not, I really do love to cook.  That comes from my mom.  I loved when mom came and visited because I knew I was going to get home-cooked meals at my house! Occasionally she would send me a random recipe.  Southern Comfort food is the best...

When mom passed away, we started giving away her cookbooks as people came over to visit.  It wasn't something I was ready for... but nothing about the experience was something I was ready for.  I knew I wanted to take one of her cookbooks simply because they belonged to her.  It was something that she loved and something that would remind me of her.

As we were going through pictures, I ran across a picture from 1972 of mom and I standing at the entrance of Disney World.  I kept that picture and placed it in one of the cookbooks from Disney, "Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs."  This was the cookbook I wanted to keep.

Mom had given me a recipe years before that was so good.  Matter of fact, while at Disneyland a few years ago I sought out and ate at the Blue Bayou Restaurant to have the Cajun-Style Prime Rib.  This was in the cookbook I kept and one of the recipe's she had sent to me. The photo remains tucked away in that cookbook.  I just wish I still had mom...and that totally awesome Donald Duck hat!

In case you didn't know, when you visit a Disney Restaurant the chefs are more than willing to share the recipes of their food.  If you find something totally yummy, you can just ask for the recipe and they will either bring out the recipe to you or email it to you.  I've gotten so many recipe's through the years..... I've just never been able to recreate the Magic of Disney.  But I have been able to share the good food!

I wanted to share this recipe with you, the recipe mom sent to me... try it, if you like Prime Rib and like cajun food, you will love it!  If you don't want to take the time to cook it, just go to Disneyland and have it.... you can never go wrong with Disney, and you can never go wrong eating from the recipes that my mom sent.

Cajun-Style Prime Rib

1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspons ground red pepper
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Prime Rib, about 4 ribs in thickness
(Approximately 9 ounces per serving)

1.  Mix all spices and rub prime rib on all sides.  Then let rest overnight in refrigerator.
2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place prime rib fat side up on a rack in an open roasting pan.
3.  Roast for about 1 1/2 hours for medium-rare (until thermometer reads an internal temperature of 130 degrees F).  Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.

Serves 4

This is served au jus at Blue Bayou Restaurant with creamy horseradish sauce and is accompanied by potatoes, fresh sauteed vegetables and a Southern-style popover.

No comments:

Post a Comment